Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sick

What have we been up to lately?  Trying to get this little guy healthy.  This has been no little challenge, and we're still not quite there. 

Over the past month and a half Evan has been on 3 rounds of different antibiotics (ear infections)  and two rounds of a steroid for his lungs (after being hospitalized for RSV).  We are on our second BOX of the medicine for his nebulizer treatments (for his lungs/wheezing), and today was our last of three consecutive daily visits to the clinic for antibiotic shots to see if we can finally get his ears to clear up.  I've been to the health food store and started giving him a probiotic and infant multivitamin to try and boost his immune system.  After all this, he is still. not. well.  What am I going to do with this kid?

I WANT him to be healthy and happy, but I also NEED him to get healthy, fast, so he can have his cataract surgery that is scheduled for the end of the month. 

Thanks to a great family optometrist who insisted that it is important to get your childs eye's checked when they are still a baby (I have NEVER done this when any of my other kids!), we found out that Evan has cataracts in both his eyes and later found out he has a subluxed (misplaced) lens in his left eye.  He can't see out of his right eye at all. His left eye can see what we think is a somewhat blurry (non-detailed) image.  Surgery was scheduled for May 2nd, but because of his recent RSV it had to be pushed back.

It's hard to sit and wait for his surgery when we've been told the longer we wait the more chance of complications and vision loss.  We've been told it's possible that his eyes may begin to tremor/shake (a risk associated with his right eye getting no stimulation), and if they start, they generally shake for life.  Our prayer as we wait is that this won't happen, and that his eyes won't worsen any other way.


So, for now we continue to focus on getting and keeping this baby boy healthy!  Maybe some warmer weather will help?  I'll take any help I can get!




1 comment:

Beth said...

Sweet boy. We've been praying for him!