In September 2007 we decided to place all our belongings in a storage unit, load up the car and drive to Iowa where we would stay with Bryan's parents for a month or two (max!), while Bryan looked for work. So with our 2 little kids and one on the way, off we went! We never imagined that a month (or maybe two) would slowly creep on until it turned into 11.
We never imagined that the year following would be full of stress, worry, doubt, fear, and questions of what we were doing wrong or what could we have done better in the past. That we would be tested emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and even physically as my pregnancy required me to spend over a month on strict bed rest. I could not before imagined wanting something so much, being willing to go anywhere and do anything but feeling so completly helpless as to making it happen.
In August 2008 Bryan got a phone call for another interview. The only difference between this one and the MANY before it is that this one would be located in Texas, about an hour or so from where my parents live. My parents had never seen Nicole who had been born that March, and they were willing to help us make a family trip out of the opportunity. So we all drove down to Texas to wait out the interview process. What we never imagined when we left Iowa is that we would be staying in Texas, that this interview would FINALLY be the one.
What a long, hard year this has been. Just thinking about it brings so many emotions to my head and heart, that it is hard to sort them all out. What I do know, it that everything we go through is meant to be a growing experience for us. With that in mind, I will share some of the things I have learned this past year.
- I have learned that even though we don't understand, it doesn't mean there isn't a good reason for something.
- I have been reminded that we truly are never left alone.
- Heavenly Father knows us. He listens to our prayers.
- I have learned that Sisters have the best shoulders to cry on, even when it is done over the phone.
- I have been reminded that miracles do happen, and many times they come in ways we never could have imagined.
- That we have loving generous family members who are willing to help.
- I have learned that working evenings at Target could be worse than it actually is.
- I have learned that service truly does help you turn outward and not dwell so much on your own problems. That it can help you be happier.
- That kids need their parents to be happy even when they are having a hard time.
- That no matter how much you love your extended family (and I love mine very much!) living with them should be avoided.
- I have learned that you can have a new baby and not have any "baby stuff" (stroller, boppie, snugglie, bouncer, crib, etc.) and still survive.
- Bedrest really isn't "rest" at all.
- I have learned that going through a trial can either pull people closer together, or push them apart. I have learned that the first of these options takes much more work. I have also learned that the work is completely worth it.
- I have learned that sometimes you need to not talk about your problems, even if you feel like there is nothing else to say.
- People are willing to make sacrifices to help others.
- I have been reminded that a prayerful fast truly does help you draw closer to the Lord.
- I have learned that if you try your best and do what you can, somehow things tend to work out.
- Paying tithing truly brings blessings.
- I have learned that going without something increases your gratitude for that thing.
- It is important to endure to the end.
- I have learned over and over that the Lord's timing is not our timing. That he has a plan for us that is better than the plan we have for ourselves. That sometimes, we just have to wait.
So, here we are. October 2008. We are in Texas. Bryan is woking for UTMB (Universiry of Texas Medical Branch) and we couldn't have hoped for a better opportunity than this is for him, as well as for our family. We move into a fabulous little house this weekend! Back on our own! I thought the day would never come! We are feeling extreamly blessed as we look and see our life fall into place. We are realizing that while this may not be what we had imagined for our family, because of the Lord's plan for us, and His timing it has turned out to be better than anything we expected.
I am so grateful for the many thoughts and prayers of our friends and family that were said in our behalf. I know they were answered.
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing that Angela. I am glad things are finally coming together for your family. Thank you for pointing out how blessed we truly are. I hope things continue to get brighter! I can't wait to see your new house!
You guys sure have had an amazing journey! You made it through!! You both amaze me! I'm sooo happy for you--a job and a place to live. It's funny how most of us take those things for granted! Thanks for the insights. I love you guys!
You guys are awesome. It is a totally bummer that we did not get to spend more time together. We love you guys and miss you.
Congratulations on the job. I am just starting to get a feel for the long journey as David is still looking for work and it has not been a whole year for us. Thanks for sharing your insights and journey. All the best to you and the family.
Life challenges teach us so many powerful lessons. Thanks for your example of faith and persistence. You guys are amazing!
Angela I hadn't read this until now. I don't know if I knew that you moved and Bryan got this job. This is wonderful. I really appreciated reading your list of things you've learned. They sounds like good, but hard things to learn. I don't think I want to go through that...but I'm not sure it will be avoidable...the job hunt after graduation is scary. Thanks for post it.
Post a Comment