Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day

Today I sang a mothers day song in our ward sacrament meeting. Actually, in all honesty I sang half of a mothers day song. Let me explain.

Now, anyone who knows me at all knows that I tend to lean a little on the emotional side of things (even that may be a huge understatement!). That being said, when I sing in front of people if anything is going to get to me it is going to be my nerves, not my emotions. So as I nervously prepared to go forward to sing I thought to myself, "I'll just think of my mom as I sing, that way I'll hopefully be able to portray the message in the song in a way that might invite the spirit and touch those who are listening." I said a silent prayer that this would be the case.

The song titled "An Angel to Watch Over Me" talks about how a mother takes care of her child through sleepless nights, teaches them to pray, guides their footsteps, teaches them about the Savior, protects them from unseen danger, echos their laughter and counts their tears, prays for them and more. It is a beautiful song written by Sally DeFord. I hadn't heard it before this week.

I didn't even feel it coming, but as I sang the second verse suddenly I choked and the tears started flowing. I stood there in front of everyone, trying to pull myself together and motioned to the pianist to start playing again. I tried to start back into the song, but had no luck. I wasn't going to be able to finish. I was thinking about motherhood, about my mom. I looked behind me at the Bishopric who all looked understanding, but like they didn't have a clue what to tell me! I raised the microphone and instead of singing my testimony, decided to speak a short but strong testimony of the divine role of mothers.

It is amazing how music truly can bring the spirit and touch us when we least expect it. When I said my silent prayer that those listening would be touched, I never expected it to be me!

So today I am bursting with gratitude for my mother. I know that her love and influence has had a huge impact on the woman I am today. She is the greatest example of selfless service to her family, of loving unconditionally, and of sometimes falling, but always getting up and trying again. I hope that I can be to my children what she has been to me.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

How neat. I wish I could have heard. I would love to hear you sing. I sang for a YW New Beginnings once as a leader and did the same thing! I was singing "This is the Christ" and barely got through one verse when I just couldn't go on. Luckily my pianist kept playing while I stood there and cried.

I'm sure they could all feel your testimony.